The Antidote For "Busy-ness"


A few Sundays ago our pastor was preaching about how busy everyone seems to be. People are trying to connect through Facebook, email, blogging (ahem), instead of spending real time together.

He proposed that the antidote for busy-ness was intimacy.
I was just sitting there, kind of blown away by the idea. He then encouraged us to spend real time together, preferably over a meal, to connect.

Believe me I love my Facebook and my blogging, but I see his point. That is mostly a one way connection and keeps the relationship at a distance.

Having a meal together, at your home, is the most intimate way you can get to know someone.

This season we are all tightening belts because of the economy, even Oprah's Christmas show was more about giving from the heart, then from your wallet. This holiday we have an excuse not to spend as much. A simple little thoughtful gift, or even home made treats are wonderful.

I loved Oprah's idea for a gorgeous box that you give a host of a party or gift recipient, where you have everyone write something they like about the person. A personal note is the greatest gift!

15 comments:

Always Organizing said...

Great post! I love sitting down to dinner with my fiance at home with no background noise. No tv, no distractions, just us talking :)

Melissa said...

I love that gift idea!

I totally agree about the whole social networking thing! I am hooked on Facebook and Blogging and all that stuff too!

Linda S said...

great idea! personal is definitely the best and money spent is not important. good values to live by!

Anonymous said...

I love that idea for the party! There are definitely more people on my list this year who will be receiving baked goods...

The new picture of Landon is too cute!

Jill said...

I so agree. I try to limit my computer time at home as for me it can be the biggest time stealer.

kenady said...

this year is all about homemade gifts from the heart. today i am off to Michaels/AC Moore to find cute things the kids can paint. I'm making my niece a t-shirt with iron-ons... and this may be how it is for every christmas going forward... somewhere along the way i think a lot of people forgot what christmas is really about. too bad that an economic recession had to hit to put it all back into perspective.

ps can't wait to meet you in January:)

Courtney said...

Gosh.... I was just thinking the same thing the other day, about how I need to spend my time with the people around me and not on the computer all the time. I have been feeling guilty, but as my husband reminded me...blogging is my outlet and its good for me. Send me your email and I will add you to my blog list. I just went private. court7477@aol.com
~Molly's Mom
Happy Thanksgiving!

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

That is so true. Sometimes I find myself spending too much time on blogger or facebook and I just have to unplug.

A handwritten note is such a great gift. I try to send them out periodically. My grandmother sends me hand written notes fairly often, and I save them all. Someday when she isn't here, I will have all her notes to re-read.

I hope you have a nice week!

Katie Ryan said...

I completely understand what your pastor is saying and wish I could be more "intimate" more often, it's just so hard to do in these busy times.

University of Iowa Meg said...

Good post!! I completely agree!! Does it count if you want to meet your blog buddies in person? :) Anyways, have you gotten your swap gift yet??

Yellow Beads said...

the world of "relationships" surely has changed, uh?

*Pink Preppy Party Girl* said...

I totally agree with your pastor/minister. It is so easy to have relationships with people via the internet because you can totally control them and move on easily. Connecting in person is so important. When I am blogging or spending time on the internet, I always think of this quote by Jackie-o..."I would rather live my life than write about it."

News Readin' Wife said...

Very good post. It's not that hard and it means so much to the recipient to know you took a few minutes to write a quick note.
Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

hello there thanks for your grat post, as usual ((o:

Anonymous said...

Really.