Fabulous Finds- The Preppy Handbook


The preppy handbook is the quintessential guide to all things preppy, and although it came out a LOOOOOONG time ago, it still is relevant and fun to read today! I especially love the list of nicknames for boys and girls, the diagrams of prep persona's for all stages of life, and how to make the perfect tailgate picnic. If you don't have this book you should pick it up! And remember the Preppy Value System:
1. Consistency- perpetuating tradition.

2. Nonchalance- being understated and not flaunting.

3. Charm- unflappable gentility.

4. Drinking- cocktailing with the folks!

5. Effortlessness- looking like it's all a cinch.

6. Athleticism- being a person who enjoys the sporting life!

7. Discipline- a coat and tie build character! Dress your boys right!

8. Public Spritedness- be a do-gooder! Lend your Volvo to the Red Cross! Be the president of the Junior League!

It's just too fabulous!

9 comments:

Brett Svatek said...

Toats & Taters!

workinthatpreppy said...

I love it!

workinthatpreppy said...

I just added to you to my blog roll...so sorry it took me so long!

PaperCourt said...

Magnolia Daddy brought this book into our marriage! Love it!

Lamp Tramp said...

Loved reading about your trip and all the lovely places you shared with us. I'm getting myself together to start posting again, I'll give you the yummy crabmeat caserole/spread recipe shortly. Have been so busy, after everyone left, taking down decorations.. then just needed a litte me-time, really getting into a new healthy lifestyle/eating...I'll share later. Daughter has that book along with a few others that she calls "her bibles". All ways love reading what you and your fabulous famiy are doing!

Kim said...

I bought this book when it originally came out when I was a freshman in college. Did not realize how much I had internalized until I found it on the bookshelf not too long ago and started reading. The freakiest thing.....the drawing of the family in the front looks freakishly like us. And here I thought I ended up with 4 kids because of tequila....it was the OPH all along!

One of my all time favorites, along with "The Southern Bell Primer, or Why Princess Margaret will never be a Kappa Kappa Gamma".

Words to live by.

Anonymous said...

It is my goal to be the JL president. But that's a secret. :)

Snappy Casual Snippets said...

I have got to get that book. I have been hearing about it through blogs for as long as i can remember.

Anonymous said...

Love that book. My high school boyfriend gave me a copy that had been his older sister's. (Wonder if she was looking for it when she came back from college?)