Eat, Pray, Love, Mid Life Crisis?

I know it's going to happen. People are going to see Eat, Pray, Love and there will be a major mid life crisis epidemic. After all a lot of us think they should be, or could have been, living another life. Something more exciting, passionate, and adventurous. For some people living in California or Los Angeles for that matter, is a dream life. Sun, beach, movie stars, it's all here, but you better have thick skin because the entertainment business is no joke.

It was my dream to live and work in California, like Carol Burnett. I dropped everything and move out here. I left family, friends and a boyfriend behind and came out to LA knowing no one! Looking back it seems so brave. I was terrified but it didn't stop me. The other option was to not ever try to live my dream.

My dreams have changed over the years, simplified a little. When you have kids you tend to focus on their happiness more than your own.  Lately though, after turning 40, I have been dreaming more. I think a lot of people are looking for more after forty.


Don't get me wrong, I will be lined up to see Eat, Pray Love. I loved the book. I understood Elizabeth Gilberts wanting more, feeling trapped, and needing adventure! Sometimes I wonder about living doing somewhere else, doing something else. Would I be happier? Probably not!

I'm not sure we all need to go to India and Italy to find our true happiness. I know Elizabeth Gilbert needed to get away and find herself, but let's be serious, not many people have the time or money to go gallivanting all over the world.

I have one simple way I solve this. I try to bring the excitement, the adventure, into my own life in big and small ways.

Here are just a few:

I rearrange my living room and den every few months. 
I drive home different ways to find new places.
I find new cool restaurants to try.
I have friends over and try new and exciting new table scape's and menus.
I arrange girls nights with different groups of women and try to connect people.
I grow my hair long and then cut it short.
I stay open to living in other places, making new friends, and joining new groups.
I take day trips on the weekends with the family.
I take on new projects, even if it's outside my comfort zone!


Let's face it life can feel dull and monotonous, especially when you are running a household and raising kids. You need to keep it fun and interesting!



18 comments:

Jessica Ryan said...

You rock... my dh thinks I am having a midlife crisis! You are so signed on to write my screenplay, btw! XOXO

Suburban prep said...

Right out of college I too moved to the LA area. Lived there for a yr and well I moved back to my hometown. I have a large family and I missed them. If I had not I would not have met my husband of almost 12 yrs.
Each person must do in their heart what they feel is right. Just because I moved home doesn't mean that some of my siblings did. They are all over the world (China and London just to name a few places).

You are right there are ways you can find the real you by just little things too.

You have a wonderful way of expressing yourself and it is such a pleasure to read your postings.

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

I am having a midlife crisis too...I posted about it last week, Tuesday I think. I also mentioned this book, but not in the travel sense, but more in the fact that I need to appreciate what I have more. Thankfully, I'm not in the position the author was in (feeling trapped in a marriage), but I still need to see the blessings. That's kinda what I go out of it. You're right though...I'll still be lined up to see it.

Henley on the Horn said...

I think Americans have a huge struggle with contentment. I will probably go see the movie, but I don't like the premise of it. I haven't read the book, but I know that true fulfillment and contentment can only come through a relationship with Christ. People and relationships and jobs and exciting careers will always come up short. I love the ways you make life different!

Sandra said...

You are a wise girl, sweetie! And you're right - the grass is always greener - - - (until you get there). Love how you keep your life "fun". xoxo

Bridget said...

Loving your tips! Many I do myself and it is amazing how much something small like that can do for your outlook.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie too - loved the book!

Anonymous said...

I know I am in the minority when I say I disliked that book and find E. Gilbert to be a self-centered and whiny person. I have no desire to see Julia Roberts in that role. I find her smug to begin with, and I think the movie character will bug me even more than the book one. I know E.G. wrote her second book only to make $$.
i like your strategies for finding happiness in your own back yard.

BroncoMom said...

Great post filled with lots of common sense.

BroncoMom said...

Great post filled with good ideas.

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

I loved this post! When I first read that book a few years back, it really inspired me to look in my own backyard to find my happiness. I love your list! It truly is about the little things each day!

Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Suburban Princess said...

I have never understood EG - I think she just overthinks everything too much.

Barefoot in the Park said...

i heart you. i feel the same way ... i enjoyed the book (minus some of the rediculousness going on in her head) but feel like this might not be a "trend" our country needs to embarq on ...

bevy said...

Thank goodness I love my life right now... and am very content. I'm not sure I would really "get" the book.

Solar Powered said...

I felt very thankful that I lived my adventure and that I can now find daily adventures in the small things these days...:)

Debra said...

Great post!

I am very content right now. I think 40 did that for me. Things can get a little monotonous (sp?) at times but that's life. I am getting my hair cut short on Wed though. That should add some excitement around here! :)

I do want to see the movie. Haven't read the book though.

PaperCourt said...

I love your posts! I hope we'll be able to meet one day!

Kiki said...

I am so glad to read your post and the comments of all these other bloggers, I have, for so long, felt like there was something wrong with me because I didn't like the book. At all. Am not going to see the movie either.

When I was reading the book I felt like she just needed to focus on someone else, get busy doing something for someone less fortunate and stop spending so much time complaining.


Life is hard, no one promised me an easy life....but my faith always get me through the tough spots....no need to travel to Italy, India or Bali. Not that I'd mind it, in fact, I'd rather do it when I'm not searching for something....then I might miss the beauty that is right in front of my nose.

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

I agree! While I love learning about other people's journeys, it is hard for me to relate to hers, specifically.

I am all about the everyday happiness!