Getting Help For Landon-IEP's




When Landon was little, I wasn't happy with the way his speech was developing and so I contacted our home school and he got an IEP (Individualized Educational Plan).

This is how it's defined:

"The IEP should describe how the student learns, how the student best demonstrates that learning and what teachers and service providers will do to help the student learn more effectively. Key considerations in developing an IEP include assessing students in all areas related to the known disabilities, simultaneously considering ability to access the general curriculum, considering how the disability affects the student’s learning, developing goals and objectives that correspond to the needs of the student, and ultimately choosing a placement in the least restrictive environment possible for the student."

It's not easy to get these, especially if you are not going to your home school. Either way you must push to get it, it's your RIGHT!!! I have heard may horrifying stories of the hoops some parents have had to jump through to get help for their children. Especially the ones who don't meet ALL the criteria but really need HELP.

Landon was found to have a speech delay when he was 2, so for a year we worked on that until it seemed all was well. Lately I have been noticing that Landon has trouble with his writing and speech. He knows the words but can't seem to get them out. Maybe a problem with processing information?

I once again went to our local school (we go to a Catholic school nearby) and asked for an IEP. The woman at the office did not make it easy on me. She grilled me as to why I wanted one, and if I was going to enroll Landon at the school, all in front of a room full of people. Luckily for Landon I will do anything for him and could care less about embarrassment. She said I needed a request letter, something she failed to mention on the phone before. I looked at her and said:

"Got a piece of Paper?" and wrote the request on front of her and all the other onlookers.

Sometimes I get frustrated by how hard it is to get Landon help. His case may be more subtle, but the last thing I want is him falling behind. I will never stop pushing for this kid, but sometimes I want to say GIMME A BREAK LADY and run screaming into the street!

7 comments:

JR Mazur said...

Love that you are sharing your experiences! I'm a Special Education teacher, so if you ever need help just holler!
xo,
JR
www.jrmazur.blogspot.com

linda said...

Yes, keep at it- the squeaky wheel gets greased! I quit my career of 15 years to help my daughter who is hearing impaired and speech delayed- she just graduated our( very competitive) high school here on Long Island, Valedictorian so keep fighting the good fight.

Feel free to email me if you need any advice.
-Linda, NY

linda said...

p.s my home email: llynn3@verizon.net

-Linda, Manhasset, NY

Anonymous said...

Mine have needed extended time, etc. for processing issues and it really can be a challenge to get what they need. We've been able to devote significant time and resources to make sure they get what they need but I imagine there must be lots of students who should be getting services but are denied.

Hillcrest Acres said...

Way to go!!!!! Sometimes the battles may try to defeat us but as a Mama we always get back up on our feet and push through. You truly are a fabulous mom!!!

Meg said...

Nice work, ma!

I wish more parents were more assertive/aggressive and informed about what services their child is entitled to at school. Sadly, this is a huge socio-economic factor and thus the disadvantaged stay that way

Lobster Meets Peach said...

We left private school since we were told that was the only way we would get an IEP for my son. One year later I am still fighting the system. But don't worry I am not giving up!!!

Thank you for a great post!