Best Tortilla Soup Recipe!

When I find something fabulous I have to share! This was so easy and delicious! Perfect meal!



Tortilla Soup (from Stop and Smell the Rosemary)

6 tbs vegetable oil
8 corn tortillas, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 medium onion, chopped (I do this in the food processor)
1  28oz can diced tomatoes
2 tbs ground cumin
1 tbs chili powder
3 bay leaves
6 cups chicken stock (I buy low salt organic)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I leave this out if the kids are eating it and Dave, Harry and I add Tabasco at the table)
4 cooked chicken breasts, shredded or cubed ( I bake them, let them cool and shred/pull them with clean hands.)

Optional garnishes:
Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
cubed avocado
Sour Cream
2 corn tortillas, sliced and fried crisp (or a few tortilla chips) 

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add tortilla, garlic, cilantro and onion. Saute 2-3 minutes.  Stir in tomatoes.  Bring to a boil and add cumin, chili powder, bay leaves and chicken stock.  Return to a boil.  Reduce heat.  Add salt and cayenne.  Simmer 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and stir in the chicken. Reheat for a few minutes.  Spoon into bowls and garnish with cheese, avacado, sour cream and/or tortilla chips.

2 comments:

3 Peanuts said...

uI have been making that sop for years and have blogged about it too. It is SOOO good!!!

3 Peanuts said...

Ooops I just realized you cut and pasted this from my blog (Dave, Harry and I add Tabasco at the table:) So funny!

Kim