Bye Bye Pappy- Hello Big Girl!- Getting Rid Of The Pacifier

Ohhhhh baby Coco. She loves her Paci, she calls it her "Pappy". Now, at almost two and a few months, she was starting to increase her use of it. Getting more attached. This was of course as I was going to start taking it away.

So yesterday, while I was at a business meeting, the nanny couldn't find "Pappy" and put her down for a nap without it! She cried for a little but then that was it!

To be honest I was a little pissed. I wasn't ready to take it away yet, but was a little glad I wasn't around for the aftermath. I knew tonight was going to be TOUGH. 

I was dreading putting Coco down but tried to be positive. She cried and cried. I went in but it made it worse. Finally she was quiet. That is until the dog went on a barking rampage and woke her up!!!!! DANG IT!

So what do you think happened? Stay tuned. I'll let you know if I caved and gave the Pappy or not!

What about you? Have you survived taking away the PACI?

7 comments:

Sandy said...

My daughter never took to the pacifier, but my son wouldn't give it up. When he was 2 he got thrush, we lied and said that his binky made his mouth hurt and we threw it away. But he replaced it with a sippy cup and now we are trying to break him of that (he's 4)

clare said...

I have three kids who all used pacifiers. We took them away at two with the first two and let it go a bit longer with #3. We lucked out with the last one because one day we flat out could not find one. Brutal for a day or two but worth it.

Maureen said...

My older one had one, and because he was so close in age to his younger sister, we let him have it way too long. He was 3 1/2 (bed/car use only), but it was brutal. We both cried. He still gets teary about it, and he just turned five.

Good Luck!

Kate said...

I had one who loved it & one who couldn't care less, but I think paci is sooo much easier to deal with than thumb sucking! You can't take away their thumbs LOL!

Jill said...

None of my kids used any kind of paci - their choice. Lord knows I tried. And then there's me. I had a Nuk brand paci literally until the day I started kindergarten. Or..should I say...I had about 10 stashed in all the convenient places in the house. The summer before kindergarten my Nuks sudden started to be "deflated" one by one {aka my mom poking holes in them with a needle}. Finally as the first day of school loomed I was down to one Nuk and my mom gave me a choice of either giving it up or wearing it around my neck on a BLACK ribbon to school. I chose the former - not because I would have been embarassed about the NUK but because BLACK didn't go with my outfit. haha. Fashion over comfort - then and now.

Pink in a sea of blue said...

Good luck with this! I had a thumbsucker with first child so was determined for second to take a paci. Then I was determined to take it away early because #1 was still sucking his thumb! I feel horrible telling you that at 18 months I was able to take it away from #2 with no problems! Believe me I know how lucky I was! I was so grateful that somehow we avoided world war 3 in our house over a paci! So very best of luck with Coco!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure why you were "pissed" at the nanny...especially if she couldn't find the pacifier. It's not like she said "I'm not going to give it to her at naptime anymore, period." At least not in the story you've included here.