Potty Training- Here's The Poop.



If you don't care about potty training, or you are past it, I congratulate you. For us, it has briefly taken over our lives. Now you may remember how in JULY we did the Three Day Potty Training method. Well...

The Good news: In three days he was peeing in the potty and going through the night with no accidents.

The Bad news: he was still pooping in his pants more frequently than not.

No this is kind of embarrassing and not really something to talk about over lunch with the girls. Nevertheless, I was determined to find and answer and make myself feel better that I was not alone in my fight!

I got tons of advice from friends, pediatrician and teachers. I tried everything to get Landon to poop in the potty. Sticker charts, prizes, candy, presents, praise, time outs, warnings, bribes, prunes, everything.

What finally did it? Leaving it up to him.


People had told me to drop it, they were only partially right. We let it go, but added pureed prunes, praise and letting him be by himself in the potty. Now when we know he has to go I put him on the potty and then tell him to call from me when he's ready to be done. This gives him all the power and has taken away the power struggle!

Now he poops by himself (Thank God because it's not like I enjoyed sitting there with him while he went). Life is good once again. There. Potty trained in 4 months.

14 comments:

Seersucker Scrapper said...

Good for you. We are still struggling after a year with accidents at night, and when she is just "too busy" to take a break to go to the bathroom.

I am not looking forward to Little T. I hear boys are harder.

Your story gives me some hope!

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

You know, I debated about posting about this but I thought most people would not want to hear about our dirty details! I applaud you for posting about it because we are having the very SAME issue! Granted, Lallie is only 2 years 3 months, but she sort of started training herself, but when she started peeing 100%, the poop got worse! Maybe we'll leave it alone too! THANK YOU so much for posting this OFM!

Maureen said...

This gives me hope...

Suburban Princess said...

Thanks for the post! We are about 6 months away from starting to potty train so I need all the advice I can get!

"Cookie" said...

I have to admit to enjoy reading tips, ordeals, and all else when it comes to potty training. We haven't gotten to that point yet but I'm absorbing as much as possible for when it is time!

Shannon said...

We did the tree day potty training method too. My son did awesome, but we sometimes had a problem with poop. One day I just decided to leave him in the bathroom by himself when I knew he had to go poop and told him the exact same thing you told Landon and it worked! It makes sense, who wants to poop in front of people anyways?! No accidents since then! Good job to you and Landon!!

PaperCourt said...

We had the poop issue with boy #2. Congrats for letting him have the control. That's always the hard part. Go Landon!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

YAY for you guys! I'm longing for diaper free days!

Clare said...

awesome job mommy!! go landon too:)

nanny said...

Congratulations....you did it!!!!
They are all different and we just have to find what works/uh?

Courtney said...

Congratulations on one potty trained child! I have heard of people who were at it much longer than 4 months.

Kayris said...

I'm 2 for 2 in my "do-nothing-method" of PT. Both mine decided on their own that they were ready and it was done with very little fuss and effort. Forcing it is just so not worth it! Good job Landon!!

Preppy Mama said...

oh Poop is the pits!! I swear it was the one thing holding mine back. Life is so much easier with poop on the potty!! Congrats!!

Britney said...

Thank you for writing about this. We are going thru the same issues with my just turned 3 year old. I'm glad I'm not alone! There is hope!!!!!! I will try the don't force/ leave alone thing and hopefully it will work! Thank you!