BlackBerry Shut Down At 6pm- Bethenny Frankel Dared Me!

I love twitter. I know some of you have no idea what the heck it is (and if you don't head on over to The Social Media Gals and let them show you!), but trust me it's amazing. You can get to people you would never ever be able to reach.


Case and point- Bethenny Frankel.


I love me some Bethenny. Loved her single, New York Housewife, Mommy, SkinnyGirl; all of it. I follow her on twitter. She was tweeting about a self imposed blackberry shut down at 6pm. This idea sounded amazing except for the fact I have two kids and a full time job. I am sometimes working until LATE. Still, I am not a heart transplant surgeon....can't I shut this thing off?


I decided to tweet her back that it was a brilliant idea. Guess what? She tweeted back. She challenged me to do it with her! What was I going to say NO?


So, at 6pm, I put the Blackberry down and had a life. It was nice. I enjoyed it. Now I am not saying I can do it every night, but I'd like to! It was so nice to just focus on the kids and have peace!!!


What about you? Do you do self imposed Blackberry shut downs? How do you unplug?

7 comments:

"Cookie" said...

I typically put mine down at 5 pm and stay off til my kids are in bed.... between 8 and 9 pm. Then, I try to stay off as much as possible. I will stay off if my husband is home and not working... it's our time at that point. My opinion.... nothing is that important that it can't wait til the next morning. I'll socialize with friends on occasion via text but I keep it to a minimum.

Melissa said...

I play around on my phone when I'm nursing or when Landon is napping. I'm not willing to give up my entertainment while I feed my baby lol

Suburban Princess said...

I dont have a blackberry so I dont have that problem. But I can be a bit of a workaholic so I just get up early, plow through then spend time with my husband and son without guilt :O)

Let me know about ribbon for the shower!

Solar Powered said...

Love the idea and surprisingly I'm loving twitter, @millarwoman! I've actually been thinking of only allowing myself iphone use during naps or after bedtime. I hate to set the example that we should have a nose in our phone all the time, ya know?

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Too cool - I'm a big Bethenny fangirl & am so happy for her success.

I struggle with the smartphone thing - I have no job excuse for being attached to mine & am struggling to limit myself with it during the daytime when I'm home alone with the kiddo. Think I need more of a 7 am - 7 pm lockdown :-).

Catherine said...

My internet was down for over a week. The first couple of days, I was bothered by it, but WOW did I get a lot done around here. Then I started experiencing "withdrawal". Now it's up and running and you know what? I didn't miss much and I was so much more productive without it. My children are older than yours, but I think you will have a happier family if you turn the thing off until after they go to bed. Technology is great, but we have created our own hell with it, too!

Unknown said...

Good for you! And it is so exciting that Bethenny tweeted you! I hate to say this, but I haven't blogged in over a week, and although I feel some "have to" guilt, it has felt fantastic to put the kids to bed and just watch a little TV. And you know what, I have felt a little more like Polly Anna lately, too. Maybe it's just a coincidence...