Landon's Name


Kiki asked about the origin of Landons name a few weeks ago. Coco (Caroline) was named after my dearest love of a Grandmommie, a painter and lover of all things purple. Landon on the other hand was another story.

First of all I was so happy to be pregnant after my battle with infertility, I could have had triplets and been okay with it (yeah right), but instead we had one. This is amazing because we did in vitro to get Landon. This was after trying, trying more, watching everyone else get pregnant, crying, trying more, being told to just relax, doing artificial insemination, fertility drugs and praying.

Once I found out that I was indeed with child, (a phone call from the docs office), I started craving strawberry ice cream and Sunkist sodas.

"Sunkist sodas? I haven't drank them since I was in 7th grade! It must be a girl." Or so I told myself. Then I convinced everyone else I was having a girl. I was positive. So positive that when they showed me the peenie on the ultrasound I thought it was an arm.

I was devastated because I wanted a girl!!!


I got over it pretty fast because I thought of my nephew Matt who is down right adorable and gorgeous and blonde. So I was on to the names. I like family names but hubby's was full of Franks and Adolphs (Um, No!) and I was full of Henry's and Williams (like them but not my fave).

We soon came to the name Hunter, which hubs loved and I liked a lot. (notice I am not saying I love the name...) Then one day I was watching the news and behind a guy giving a press conference I saw the name Landon written over and over on a billboard. Landon. Then I thought of Landon's I knew or heard about. Travis Barkers son, some guy on the real world...I felt like I could fall in love with this name! Who would he be, this Landon? A preppy, khaki wearing, lacoste sporting, cutey! A hot lacrosse player! Landon!

Now all I had to do was convince hubby (who also used to drink Sunkist sodas by the way). I told him to close his eyes.

"Picture a fall day. It's a lacrosse field on the east coast. A bunch of lacrosse players, in uniform, are taking a knee listening to their coach after a practice. Nearby, their pile of lacrosse sticks and helmets. Across one of the lacrosse sticks reads: Landon."

He bought it. Maybe it's because we both played lacrosse and loved it. Maybe it's because he knew I was so excited about the name. Or maybe it was the Sunkist sodas. Either way, that's how we got our Landon.


xo The Mrs.

17 comments:

Always Organizing said...

Such a great story! I love hearing how people decide on names for their children. My fiance and I have already picked a boy's name, but are struggling to agree on a girl. We are a little ahead of ourselves, but it is so fun to think about!

Seersucker Scrapper said...

What a great story! I love the name.

Courtney said...

Great story. Logan is going to have a sister and they are trying to decide on a name. I have a hard time, because being a teacher, I have a lot of negative thoughts about certain names. Time will tell what her name ends up being.

Unknown said...

Love it!

Newlywed Next Door said...

Too cute! My old manager had a son born around the same time as Landon and named him Landon! I really like the name. :-)

PS- Hunter is pretty good too. Baby #3? :-)

PaperCourt said...

Too cute!

Muffy said...

What a great story! Landon is SUCH a cute name.

Maureen said...

Great story... even better name!

Sandra said...

Aww. what a great story. I hope there is a copy of this post in Landon's baby book ;-) I love the way you write. Love the name Landon!! xoxo

Beth Dunn said...

Okay your post is hysterical! I love the name btw. But the lacrosse stuff....I played and now so does my son--Greye. And I always picture him at Brown or some college playing. xoxo

cancersucks said...

Maybe if we move back to Cali my Brady can play lacrosse with your Landon! Thanks for sharing the name story.

Julie {Angry Julie Monday} said...

Don't laugh...I almost named Caden after Travis Barker's son too..Instead he was named after a naughty kid on Super Nanny.

I love Landon.

Melissa said...

Love this story and the name Landon!

Anonymous said...

funny story! Both our children play lacrosse and we hope they keep it up. i am sure my son will be a cute lacrosse dude when he is older!
any news on the screenplay?

Debra said...

Great story!
I was convinced my daughter was a boy. Like I knew more than the doctor. :) I even took a green (unisex)outfit to the hospital for her going home outfit - just in case I was right.

Anonymous said...

I love the name Landon and it's always interesting to hear how people make the name choice. I'm an IVF success story too-- although I ended up with a two-fer. The phone call with a positive beta will always be the call in the world!

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

This is exactly why I just did a post about storytelling! Everyone has the most interesting stories to share!

I love it! I just was browsing through my Pottery Barn Kids Summer Catalog and saw they have an adorable boys room where everything is monogrammed with "Landon." I thought of you immediately!